Tuesday, June 25, 2013

Addo Nkwanta Week



The drive up to the village was stunning! We drove over a few ridges and the roads were incredibly curvy as we worked our way around them.  From the top of the ridges, you can see for miles, until the horizon fades out to nothing.

A view of the village from outside my house.
We finally arrive at our village, called AdonKwanta, which is located in the Volta Region.  It began to rain, which is considered good luck here.  We all walked to one of the churches where our host families were waiting anxiously to hear which of us they would call their own.  As names are being called, trainees are standing up and families are rushing over to greet them.  The scene was a little wild.
My family was announced and the only family member that was there was my new father, David.  We head to the back of the church to talk and the rain really kicks in.  When it rains here, it really rains.  After the meet and greet, the entire crowd of people migrated in the rain to the chief’s palace for a reception.

This is a formal occasion where the chief meets and prays to the spirits for his visitors’ safety in and around the village.  The ceremony is completed after drinking some palm schnapps and then offering a bit to the spirits.  

Then, the entire congregation moved to the Peace Corps truck to pick up our luggage.  This scene was a bit chaotic as all of the children were excited to come see the Obroni (white people) and there were a ton of bags to distribute.  I eventually found mine and my brother carried my suitcase on his head back home.  Totally normal here.

The village was a little closer to what I was expecting before I came here.  Of course, the roads are all dirt, or in this case, a very red, sandy soil, some houses are made from mud brick and concrete and others are made from wood.  Apparently animals here are public property.  Little dingo dogs, chickens, and pigs just roam around and eat any garbage they find.  The rainwater was worked a network of trails through the village that act as drainage for when people wash clothes and other things. 
My bed.
The other half of my room.
My brothers eating some Banku.



I walk into my new home and head to my new room.  I was surprised that I had a double-sized bed, bigger than what I sleep on at home.  I also have a window, chair and coffee table in my room.

The houses here are set up completely differently than in the US.  Most houses have a courtyard of sorts that acts like the “living room” during the day.  All of the cooking and laundry are done outside.  Rooms are all lined up around the courtyard.   It’s actually a pretty efficient way to build a house.  Everybody gets their own family space while still living with their relatives. 



As far as I can tell, I live with 2 sets of grandparents, at least one aunt, and tons of young cousins.  I can’t be sure though, there are always different people roaming in and out during the day…

I live across the street from a church.  Sounds nice, right?  Well, here, God (and the roosters outside my window) wake up around 4am and so do the locals.  4am is the prefect time to get their pray on!  And it’s not quiet church like in the US.  They chant, sing, and sometimes march outside.  Generally they are having a great time and I always wake up efficiently.  So I sleep with earplugs in.  Completely normal. 

It’s impossible to walk around the village without “Obroni” being shouted at you by the children.  It has got to be one of their first words! 

We basically trained all week and returned home during meal times to get a taste of the culture.  My sister does all of the cooking and she is generally very good, as long as she keeps fish out of my food.  I eat a lot of bread, watermelon, and “macaroni” which is basically ramen noodles cooked with vegetables and a boiled egg.  

That’s most of the exciting parts about village life.

No comments:

Post a Comment