Thursday, August 22, 2013

End of Training


Unfortunately I don’t have a lot to say about the past few weeks.  Basically we have only been in language training, preparing for our LPI (Language Proficiency Interview), which must be passed in order to be sworn in as a Volunteer. 

We finally had the interview and it was set up to allow us to talk about our family, what work we will do in the Peace Corps and whatever else came up in discussion.  Thankfully, I passed!  So now, after 10 weeks, I don’t have to worry about this test and can relax until Swearing-In next week.  After then, we will all officially be Volunteers. 

As my time winds down in the village I am becoming more aware of the things I will miss:
The children.
Being close to anything I could possibly need for daily life.
My sister’s cooking.  She’s amazing at it.
The other Volunteers

Some things I may not miss so much:
The Church across the street, including the late night and early morning service, and all day service on Sunday
            The bleating baby goats everywhere
            Children following me in hoards shouting “Obruni!  Obruni!”
            My one little brother that is a crybaby
            The insects
            The training schedule.  Freedom is nice.

I have also been compiling a list of my “firsts” during my service so far so here they are:           
Solo flight           
International flight
Red-eye flight
Guinness beer
Airline food
Passport
Going through customs
Meeting a US Ambassador
Eating West-African food
Dry heaving
Heat exhaustion
Living in a village
Teaching a deaf classroom
Defecating in a cup
Chasing goats and chickens out of my house
Speaking an African language
Being called Obruni (White man)
Finding a chicken foot in my food
Having tailored clothes made
Seeing a Rhino Beetle
Eating dog
And its liver
And brain
Eating Guinea Fowl
Blacking out in a foreign country
Lying about going out to my family
Blaming intoxication on bad street meat/Malaria small small

No comments:

Post a Comment