Saturday, February 15, 2014

Holidaze and The New Term



 The past Holiday season was spent traveling around some of Northern Ghana with some other Volunteers. 

My first kill.
We met up for Christmas, shared presents, prepared a nice dinner and were generally very Merry.  I achieved 2 firsts here:  My first kill (the guinea fowl we cooked for dinner) and my first bee sting moments after I killed the bird.  Must have been the blood.

From there, we traveled to another Volunteer’s site and relaxed for a few days and indulged in a few gallons of pito, the local millet beer. 

By the time New Years came around, we were in Tamale, the regional Capitol in the Northern Region.  We had the very rare opportunity to go swimming in a real pool and took full advantage of that for a few hours.  Plus it helped us all to get much cleaner than we would from a bucket bath!  We met up with even more Volunteers and went to a local spot (bar) to ring in the New Year. 

Fireworks in the street
This New Years was interesting to say the least.  Let me set up the scene:  The only girls at the spot were the Volunteers and some other white people in a corner that kept to themselves.  Ghanaian women pretty much don’t party in public.  The rooftop of the spot (where all the fun was) was packed with men who were all trying to prey upon the Volunteers.  At a few points, some of the guys were wrapping their arms around me and another male Volunteer and trying to dance behind us.  So that’s about when I stopped enjoying the night.  I can remember all of this vividly because I wasn’t feeling well and didn’t drink anything.  By then our girls were loose and allowing some of the Ghanaians to get away with way too much so I started to step in and try to help them out.  Which led to a call to security and a few guys getting carried out.  At 12:00 exactly, the woman that was serving our group decided she needed to leave immediately and that I was in charge of collecting all of our money and paying her.  I didn’t even get to enjoy the first 10 minutes of 2014 because I had to pry money from all of my drunk friends which was no easy feat since the music was incredibly loud and it was dark.  And then fireworks started going off.  In America there are rules about where you can and cannot fire pyrotechnics but in Ghana it is all free game.  Add to that the fact that there is absolutely no security or crowd control and you are in for a show!  Fireworks were being fired right into crowds of people and into moving traffic.  I though there was going to be an explosion.  Eventually, that led up to a huge street fight and at that point I decided it was time for us all to go since most of our group was an easy target at that point.  We made it back to our hotel safely and nobody got robbed or assaulted so all was well. 
Gotta love free rides!

The following morning, I decided I had had enough fun in the past week that I needed to go home.  Instead of paying 8 cedis and sitting in a crowded tro for 3 hours, I decided to try and hitchhike the 3-hour trip home.  The beginning of the trip was stressful.  I watched so many really nice cars pass me and when I finally found a ride, they were only able to take me a few miles.  I made it about a 30-minute distance in just over an hour.  After sitting the in the bed of a truck, a cart, 3 other cars, and walking a good distance, I finally got lucky and a couple that was going to Bolga picked me up and I rode with AC for about 2 hours!  Then a quick walk home and I had made the trip for free in 4 hours.  In all, I was in/on a total of 8 vehicles.

The next 2 weeks would be very boring for me since school was still on break and campus was dead so I watched way too many movies and read a lot. 

Once I got back though, I received my Christmas package from home, which I think gave me temporary diabetes for a few days.  I ate so much chocolate in a few days that my legs were swelling, I was constantly tired, thirsty, and generally just felt ill.  But maybe that was the Giardia I had for the 3rd time.  Who knows?  Anyway, all of the scary symptoms left after a few days. 

Second Term

The students finally started arriving back at school, and with them, my social life.  Teaching didn’t really start until the 3rd week of school so I spent a lot of time just sitting around with the kids and planning out the next projects. 

The day we finally made a new pole.
In our spare time, I started bribing the students to come and make football nets.  Their reward for helping was that I would open the computer lab in the evenings and they could come in and play.  This was so successful that 2 nets were completed in 1 week.  To put that in perspective, our first 2 nets took 3 months to finish…  So many kids were coming to help that I had to devise a system to limit the number of kids in the lab (and prevent fighting) by handing out tokens to those that were most efficient.  That worked really well and work continued for 2 weeks before all of our nets were finished.  Up to now, we have made 6 nets, using approximately 8000 water sachets.

The past week was devoted to the district sports competition and our campus was packed with hundreds of kids from neighboring schools.  To help keep my sanity, I pretended to be deaf the entire week.  If I had been talking, the kids would follow me around shouting “HELLO!!!” and “Salaminga!” which gets really annoying after the second time.  This way, once they thought I was deaf, they would leave me alone and I was at peace!  I actually made it the entire week without talking to anybody or reacting to any sound, which is much harder that it seems.  Buying food was really fun because I could only flash money and point to communicate what I wanted, which really threw the market ladies.  Then some of the hearing students started to write notes to my kids and ask them questions and they even started doing the same to me!  The whole time, my kids knew I was refusing to talk so they got a kick out of every interaction I had.  On the last day, I bough food from one of the ladies again and purchased it as a deaf person and then thanked her in Talensi (the local language) and completely shocked her!  My kids were watching and all erupted in laughter and sign language applause (basically jazz hands) and then the lady knew the past week was all a huge joke.  Best moment of my week!

Ghanaian Shuffleboard
Since the kids have been pumping out the football nets, I have been encouraging the school to try and sell them to neighboring schools.  By the end of the tournament, one school had asked to buy 2 nets.  I have no idea if they will actually follow through since promises in Ghana generally tend to be casual in nature, but I am hopeful that we can start a small business endeavor and start to support the kids more with it.

During the tournament, I taught the JHS kids how to play shuffleboard which turned out to be a life saver!  Kids in Ghana have the ability to make games out of anything so I figured we could draw the target zone on the walkway with chalk and use lumpy stones at the pucks.  As it turns out, the inconsistencies of the stones adds to the challenge and makes it way more exciting when you actually score.  After a day of playing, I painted the stones and now it’s way more official.  It really is the simple things in life that can make you the happiest.  

No comments:

Post a Comment