Tuesday, April 22, 2014

Gaining Altitude


I consider the second term to be a very important time for me as it really defined my role as a Peace Corps Volunteer at my school. 

In the past, I would teach class, come back home and relax, read, watch movies, and nap.  I wasn’t really spending any time with the other teachers or students but I was getting by.  I was enjoying the work I did but I hadn’t found my niche yet. 

All of that changed when the new library was established.  It was initially set up as a place where we would gather to play cards and chat, but soon the students turned to the books and fell in love with the space.  I also met my Ghanaian brother, Yamusah, through the library.  He helped sort the entire stock and became the first prefect.  I gave him the responsibility of holding the key and he opened it each night for the students to use. 

Because I was constantly thinking of ways to improve the space, I started to spend much more time in there with the students.  I was no longer retiring to my house in the afternoons to rest and I went around every single night while the students were studying in their classrooms to chat or tutor in what small ways I could.  I noticed my relationships with the students began to grow and my sign language improved exponentially. 

That turned into me going to meals with them and even sharing food with some.  Yes, I drink out of the same cups as them and dip my hands into their bowls of banku and soup. 

I also started to hang out with the teaching staff a little bit more.  I eat porridge with them every other day (when millet is served) and we now have a few inside jokes and I am starting to feel a bit more a part of the staff.  Although I am still not as close to the teachers as I want to be, I’m getting there. 

Another development this term was when I started going to Mosque with my students.  I went out and dropped far too much money on a Muslim outfit, got beads, and even a cap.  Initially, I was nervous to join them since I know literally nothing about what it’s like to be a Muslim.  But they welcomed me, sat down with me and taught me how to rinse before prayer, and showed me how to perform the ritual.  I have absolutely no idea what I am doing most of the time but I find the experience fun and now I look forward to Friday afternoons when I usually join them. 

But being a “Muslim” also has its benefits in Bolga.  I wore my outfit to market one Friday and suddenly everyone’s shouts changed from “Salaminga” to Alhaji, which sounds so much less offensive after a while!  I was also given the Muslim name of Mumuni and the locals know that more than they know my real name. 

Things are also looking up for my projects at school.  I have mentioned the struggling Vocational Program several times but I may have found an organization that could help us.  I wrote to them and they have a partner that may be able to help.  I am now waiting for a reply but it is a step in the right direction! 

We also just received a donation of 25 desktop computers for the school to initiate a government program to help train the hearing impaired in technology and communications.  There really wasn’t any assessment on the government’s side of things to see if our school is capable of implementing the program (which we aren’t yet), but now it gave me another goal of erecting a building to house the program in. 

For all of these reasons, I have decided 2 things:  The first is that I will not leave until my initial goal of finishing the Vocational Program is realized.  Secondly, should the program start by the end of my 2-year term, I have decided to stay the additional year to see how things are running.  I feel really good about the decision and I know for myself that it is the right thing to do! 


No comments:

Post a Comment